Top Fire Hazards in Switzerland
A fire not only causes material damage but also poses a significant threat to health and life. Smouldering fires release copious amounts of smoke, leading to unconsciousness after just a few breaths. Each year, between 13 and 36 people die in fires in Switzerland, and over 8,000 require medical treatment for burns. Lightning strikes, electricity and smoking materials & candles are responsible for around 75% of fires.
Dangers of Candles
Especially during the dark, cold winter months, candles become an integral part of our homes. Picture the warmth of family or friends gathering in the evening, sharing stories, snuggling up, sipping wine, or enjoying some nibbles in the flickering candlelight.
The allure of fire has fascinated people throughout history, and a candle, though a humble flame, creates a sense of well-being and security.
The Flame Gets Out of Control
Sufficient heat and highly flammable materials can turn a peaceful moment into a dangerous situation, leading to a potential fire outbreak.Flames have the power to destroy cherished possessions in the blink of an eye. While some items can be replaced, others, unique and irreplaceable, are lost forever in the wake of a fire. Anything spared by flames and smoke risks destruction through the foam and water used to extinguish the fire.
The Aftermath of a Fire
Even when lives are spared, the aftermath of a fire is brutal. Fire and smoke, plus the water, foam, and powder extinguishers all leave their indelible mark. Furniture, electrical appliances, floor coverings, and important documents bear the scars of damage or are completely destroyed. The psychological toll can manifest itself as sleep disorders, anxiety, or even depression.
A Special Word of Caution for the Festive Season
Candle Safety Tips
- Always extinguish candles before leaving a room.
- Exercise extra caution when children or animals are around.
- Place candles securely on a fireproof surface in an upright position.
- Make sure to position candles well away from textiles, decorations, or other flammable materials.
- Tea lights should be placed on a heat-resistant surface due to the heat conductivity of their aluminium holders.
- If several candles or tea lights are lit, make sure there is a big enough gap between them.
- Lightning strikes, short circuits, and malfunctioning electrical devices are common fire hazards. Further information on fire protection can be found in our comprehensive guide article.
If There’s a Fire, Every Second Counts!
Security through Alarm Systems
An alarm system from Securitas Direct provides protection not only against fires but also break-ins and water damage. With our 24-hour service, you can relax and feel secure in your home, knowing that
a Securitas Direct alarm system is always there protecting you!Give yourself the best possible protection.
Expert, no-obligation advice
Securitas Direct provides a peace of mind, even when no one is at home.
Benefit from many valuable insights with our free initial consultation.
We are offering you a free Online Security Check as a first step in checking just how secure your home is.
For a no-obligation offer or a free consultation, simply click on the relevant option below.
You may also reach us on 0800 808 590 for a free phone consultation.